Sunday, May 4, 2008

At the End of the Day

We've all heard it before. And lately it's popping up everywhere we go.

"At the end of the day..."

I actually used to like this saying. It places importance on something, a finality.

It meant something. It was like saying, "Hey, nothing else in this world matters to me as much as the result of this." Or, "I realize that I have to be the one to do it, because at the end of the day, I'm all that I've got." And maybe nothing else is more important to that person than the result of a particular thing. And it's true, when it comes down to it, you are most important to yourself and nobody else. That's not a bad thing either. Realize that you are ultimately who you have in life.

But, oh man!

Now it's like, "At the end of the day, I either chew that stick of gum, or I don't."

"At the end of the day, we either make that sale or we don't."

"At the end of the day, I either liked my dinner or I didn't."

At the end of the day, "at the end of the day" is way overused.

It's a catchy saying. It makes things sound important. It places good emphasis on something. But, oh man, just because a person has discovered this new phrase, doesn't mean that they have anything in their life going on that they can use it with.

You wanna sound cool and important? Tell me you're giving me a million dollars and then hand it to me. At the end of the day, I might remember you.

No comments:

Post a Comment